Manchester Cares is a brand new community network of young professionals and older neighbours hanging out and helping one another. Two in five older people say the TV is their main form of company and while people over 75 are the loneliest age group in the UK, the second and third loneliest are people between 21 and 25 and 25 and 35.
The city is growing and changing and that can leave some people feeling anonymous, isolated and left behind. For older neighbours in particular, many of whom have spent a lifetime in one local area, the rush and pace of the city can often now feel too much.
This year they will begin much-needed work by:
• Delivering blankets and warm clothes to those feeling the cold
• Helping people to access healthcare and connecting them to organisations who can provide benefits and energy saving advice
• Letting people know about free events in their area, including their own free Social Clubs
• Matching up those who struggle to get out and about with a younger neighbour who could visit them once a week through a Love Your Neighbour project
• Supporting people whose circumstances are particularly difficult with small financial grants
If you’d like to become a partner or if you know any older neighbours who may benefit, contact Kathryn on 0161 207 0800. For more information, visit: https://manchestercares.org.uk/home