City Year UK believe that young people can change the world. For a full academic year the City Year volunteers, aged between 18-25 years, act as role models and mentors to children in schools in disadvantaged communities, helping them to reach their full potential.
From Monday to Friday, City Year UK’s volunteers are integral to the school day. As part of a team of between 4 and 16 other volunteers, they encourage pupils both in and out of the classroom to engage with and enjoy learning, providing 1:1 and small group support in class and running breakfast and after school clubs.
Regularly throughout the school year, volunteers also meet as a group outside of school to reflect on shared experiences and benefit from specialist leadership development training, coaching and career guidance, as well as networking opportunities and access to a mentor.
This is all designed to help the volunteers secure employment or progress onto higher education once they have finished their time with us.
As role models, volunteers are uniquely well-placed to create meaningful relationships with children who need help to do well at school. They bring a new perspective to learning and boost pupils’ confidence, while improving behaviour, creating no-bullying cultures and helping pupils to feel safe, empowered and happy.
• City Year have vacancies available for an immediate, January 2018 and August 2018 start
• You would then become a full time volunteer for the rest of the academic year. You will get all school holidays off
• City Year schools are located in schools across Greater Manchester
• City Year provides up to £3,960 in living expenses for volunteer. City Year will additionally reimburse you for your travel costs and provide you with a free uniform.
• City Year are accepting applications now, apply by clicking here. Applications run on a first come first served basis so it is advisable to apply now to avoid disappointment